Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Keep Your Fingers Crossed!

Today was the transfer! It was great. Dr. Jones was the one who actually did the transfer, and she was so great! Last time, it took them a couple of tries to get the catheter in the right place because of my curvy uterus, but she was in nice and easy on the first try with hardly any pain for me. They had a big screen on the wall where we got to see the little embryos and watch them suck them up into the catheter, which was pretty cool. (They didn't have that last time.) Dr. Jones gave me two Valium before we got started, and they certainly did the trick. But it went great. Adam was there with me the whole time, holding my hand and keeping me laughing.

When they defrosted the embryos, there were 7 total that we froze, 6 survived the thawing process. 2 of them looked really good (she said that a lot of fresh embryos don't look that good), and the other 4 looked really awful. So we signed the paperwork to have them dispose of the rest. This makes me feel better because I was feeling a little guilty of "flushing" the embryos we've yet to use, but the other 4 really were pretty bad, so it was definitely the right thing to do. Dr. Jones said we have about a 40%-50% chance of an egg taking, so we'll see. When it was all said and done, Dr. Jones crossed her fingers for us as she left the room. It was a small gesture, but was very sweet.

We also got the picture of the embryos--just like we did last time--which is always fun! Last time was much the same as this time as far as my emotions go. I have gotten really teary-eyed after the transfer. I feel so overwhelmed with gratitude -- gratitude that Heavenly Father has given man the knowledge and technology to do it, gratitude that the U is so wonderful to work with, gratitude for my family, husband, and this time, the boys. It's very humbling. Oh, and I have to mention that the song playing during the transfer this time was "Tell Her" by Del Amitri. A song I love and have loved since High School. Last time, the song was "Have A Little Faith In Me" which I love as well. They have a nice sound system in the transfer room and play really soothing music, and I love it!

After the transfer, they had me rest for a little while and then they wheeled me out to the car to go home. I fell asleep pretty quickly and had a hard time getting inside...I was kind of out of it and was having a hard time telling my feet which way to go. I think Adam got a kick out of it. He let me lay down and I took a nice long nap for about three and half hours.

I'm feeling fine...a little nervous, but all in all, I'm doing good. Adam gave me a blessing before we left this morning, and he promised me that Heavenly Father knows what I'm feeling and wants me to know that all is well. It was a great comfort. While we were "relaxing" in the transfer room, Adam and I discussed all of the possibilities...if it works, if it doesn't, how many we could end up with, etc. and we both feel like either way, we'll be okay. We trust the Lord and have two wonderful boys, so come what may.

My mom called to check on us, Rachel Connett came over to bring us lunch for tomorrow and check on me, and Malinda Lough called to check on me. I also talked to my Dad later in the afternoon to let him know how it went. Adam and I are so grateful for good friends and family who are so supportive.

After my nap, Adam and I got take-out from Applebee's (we had a gift card that Scott and Angie gave us last Christmas, so it only cost $7 for ALL of our food!), and got some movies from the Redbox and spent the evening relaxing on the couch together. It has been a good day.

I can't do anything strenuous or lift anything for 2 days, and then after that I just have take it relatively easy. My pregnancy test is scheduled for Sunday, November 16. Until then, we just keep our fingers crossed. Here's a picture of Adam and I doing just that this morning before we left.

No comments: