Monday, March 23, 2009

Spreading The News

A few of our extra-special friends got phone calls when we found out we were having a girl. They weren't necessarily going to, but it all went down kind of crazy. We decided we wanted to be a little sneaky with the announcement, and Adam had a great idea to use our BBFF Scott and Angie's "Win, Lose, or Draw" interactive game to tell everyone. It's the kind of game where you plug it into the TV and everyone can see what you're drawing on the TV screen, so it would work perfectly. In order to borrow the game, we figured we had to tell Scott & Angie, so they were the first ones to know. Adam being cheesy while telling Scott and Angie.
Adam made me promise that we wouldn't tell anyone else until the family knew. However, Adam's basketball team lost their tournament game the day of our appointment, and since he figured he wouldn't be seeing any of the guys again until next season, he decided to break the news that night. Since our BFF Rob is on the team, and my BFF Taisha is his wife, Adam called me and told me I'd better tell Taish since Rob would be telling her when he got home. Over the next few days, we had to tell just a few more people....our BFF's Lee and Monika were heading for St. George, so we called to tell them our excitement. Then, I figured if I waited to tell my BFF Denise until my blog post, she would kill me. {Seriously, dead.} So I called her to let her in on the secret. Mandy and Neil had an announcement of their own, so they did all the work for us of getting everyone together without us looking suspicious. (Including Tildie, Ben, and Isaac - Yay!) It was great! When I found out that my BBF DJ had school, but Amy was coming over for games and dinner, I decided I'd better call him and let him know before his fiance knew. (As a side note, the day of our appointment, DJ got on the phone with me and asked me if I was lying about not finding out. He said if we really found out the gender and told him we didn't, I owed him dessert, so dessert he got.) Then, finally, it was time to tell the family. We went to Paul and Lona's Friday night with our Win Lose or Draw game. After what seemed like forever (I wanted to spill the beans!), we finally started playing, and a few rounds into it, Adam drew a lady with a big pregnant belly and then a baby with a bow on her head and an arrow pointing to the mom's tummy. Paul caught on pretty quickly, but it took Lona a bit longer to make the connection. They were excited for us!

Master Baby-Drawer


Paul catching on, Lona...not so much {yet}

Lona gets it! {And Aaron the pizza thief.}

Saturday seemed to drag, too...especially with everyone coming over to help make dinner for the "party" that night. Mandy and Neil told us their exciting news and the games hadn't started yet, so I had to bite my tongue quite a few times when I wanted to say something about my little girl having a cousin close to her age! Finally we started playing. I think everyone thought we were a little strange because we didn't ask them if they wanted to play, we just started. And Adam was hogging the game, drawing all the pictures and not letting anyone else have a turn! But oh, it was for a good cause! Finally, everyone was paying attention and he started drawing the familiar shapes. No one was really catching on, so I guessed the secret and everyone still took minute to figure out if we were serious or why a puzzle like that would be on Win, Lose or Draw. It was so much fun!

Amy & Neil -- I love Neil's expression!

Mandy, Tildie, & Ben....dazed and confused.

Grandpa & The Boys

Grandma and Holly

Ty and Sammy, Kelee, & Savannah and Dan all came over a little later, so they were told in shifts (sorry, no pics), but it was fun to tell everyone and fun to finally have our little secret out in the open! {I know, 3 days isn't a long time to keep a secret...what can I say - I was excited!}

2 comments:

Cathy said...

So if your husband could draw, we might have gotten it on our own... :) J/K It was a very creative way to announce it, and once we knew what it was it made sense. We are very excited to meet the newest Miss Rindy. :)

Grandma Rindy said...

I HAVE TO DEFEND MYSELF HERE.
I HOPE IT WAS THE WEEKEND YOU TOLD US BECAUSE I HAVE A RULE THAT I DO NOT HAVE TO THINK ON THE WEEKEND.
IF IT WAS NOT THE WEEKEND, THEN I WILL HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER EXCUSE FOR MY SLOWNESS. BUT......
WE WERE AND ARE SO EXCITED FOR YOU AND ADAM AND THE BOYS.
OH THE BOYS.......NOW THEY WILL HAVE A LITTLE SIS TO PROTECT AND DEFEND...........
HOW FUNTASTIC AND FABULISTIC